Style | 2021-03-18T08:53:32
Menswear – The Best New Menswear Items This Season
Summer is here and it’s time to update the wardrobe with the freshest and trendiest menswear of the season. Although the summer celebrations of 2020 look very different compared to earlier, it’s all the more reason to invest in a bit of self-indulgent pampering. After spending a good part of this year in isolation, people are yearning for a return to normalcy. Even with strict social distancing in place, it is such a relief to be out and about and being able to be a part of a social gathering albeit a small one. As we head towards the end of lockdown, it’s a good idea to prepare ourselves, and refresh our grooming & style as we head out of the door again.
During this quarantine period, our fashion senses have taken a hit. Unsurprisingly, most of us have spent this time alternating between pyjamas or joggers. Loungewear has lost its appeal now. It’s time to take a fresh look at our wardrobe and add some key pieces to elevate it.
Here are some key pieces to upgrade your summer style, worth every cent of your disposable income-
- Boxer shorts– One of the biggest highlights from Spring/Summer Fashion Week is the boxer shorts. This intimate wear is now a chic accompaniment to your tee shirt & summer jacket ensemble. Models on the catwalk were seen wearing glossy silk or light cotton boxer shorts for designers like Giorgio Armani, Versace, Prada, and Fendi. This boxer shorts for shorts trend embodies the perfect summer weekend vibe.
- Cargo pants– Cargo pants, the 90s and noughties staple, are in vogue this season. The new cargo pants are a sleeker and narrower version of their utilitarian ancestor. These pants are available in an array of earthy, neutral tones. Whether it’s slightly cinched at the waist or covered with big sized pockets or billowing with risque slits, cargo pants are the refreshing divergence from the usual jeans.
- Sporty sandals– From Prada to Zara, everyone is on the sporty sandal wagon. This cheeky trend has turned the classic dad sandals into a must-have summer staple. Luxurious leather straps with non-slip rubber soles by Ermenegildo Zegna to deconstructed loafer-cum-sandals by Dolce & Gabbana to futuristic EVA foam slippers from Yeezy, there is a style for everyone. The modern, sporty aesthetic of these sandals is great for a beach look or a socially distanced walk around the block.
- Pinstripes– Pinstripe suits and jackets are a classic that everyone must have in their wardrobe. 2020 has brought a more contemporary take on this all-time classic with dynamic tailoring and variation in fit and colour. Celine had ultra-skinny pinstripe suits while Dolce & Gabbana featured wrap-around suits on the runway. You can adopt this trend by wearing a pinstripe shirt with your tailored suit for a subtle look. Double-breasted or single, pinstripe jackets add height to the torso by drawing the eyes lengthwise.
- Biker jackets– Biker jackets, a symbol of rebellion, have found their way to the runways of 2020. The modern biker jacket is embedded with rhinestones, studs, and tassels. While Balmain went the classic way, Versace’s biker jacket had fringes on it. This jacket paired with skinny jeans and some biker boots would make for the perfect edgy look.
- Animal prints– For those days when you are feeling extra, this season’s wildest trend- animal prints, is just perfect for you. From the ubiquitous leopard print to tiger stripes and ombre ocelot prints, the wild animal look is in vogue. If head to toe prints is not your cup of tea, an animal printed jacket or shirt is a clever way to add a bit of pizzazz to your outfit. Jaguar suits by Philipp Plein, leopard print jackets by Versace, and silk tiger shirts by Dsquared2 are just some of the highlights from the Fashion Weeks.
- Double denim– Double denim, reminiscent of the 90s, has made a comeback this season. Patchwork pieces of denim paired with donkey-jackets were seen at Versace. Denim jackets paired with bell-bottom jeans, as seen at Celine, is another cool double denim look for the summer. The versatile look can be pulled off with your favourite sneakers, boots, or even sporty sandals.
- Leather pants– Leather pants are no longer a no-no for men’s fashion. In 2020, leather pants have been elevated to high fashion, with design houses like Hermes, Louis Vuitton, and Lanvin doing their take on them. Apart from the usual black leather pants, models were seen strutting down the runway in grey, tan and blue leather pants. These pants, in any hue, would be an adventurous addition to anyone’s wardrobe. Slim or straight fit, these leather pants would turn heads everywhere.
- Splatter, tie-dye look– The over the top tie-dye trend is the perfect summer look for anyone trying to do away with quarantine blues. Artsy camouflage prints and paint-splattered patterns add a touch of zest and colour to an ensemble. A full tie-dye or bleached look is bold and attention-grabbing. If that’s not for you, opt for a chic splattered shirt by Rochas or bleached shorts by Versace.