Style | 2021-03-18T07:11:35
Men’s Style – How To Dress For Your Body Type?
Understanding your body type helps you accentuate your best features and hide flaws. Sartorial choices must be based on what suits your body type rather than what’s in trend. However, we are all guilty of choosing trends to overfit more often than we would like to admit.
A great wardrobe includes a mix of classic pieces and current trends, all fitted to your body type. Knowing your body shape allows you to dress well and look impeccable. We are breaking down the most common male body types and how to dress each shape.
There are five types of male body shapes-
- Inverted Triangle Shape
- Oval Body Shape
- Rectangular Body Shape
- Trapezoid Body Shape
- Triangular Body Shape
Inverted Triangle Shape:
This body shape is emphasized by significantly broader shoulders compared to the waist. The chest and shoulders are well developed while the waist and hips are narrow and slim. The key here is to create balance in the silhouette by accentuating the waist so that the body looks more proportionate.
- What to wear– Opt for neutral shades of tailored pants or chinos and shirts for a polished casual look. Relaxed fit looks better on this body shape as it balances the lower torso. Jackets paired with a tee shirt and slim fit jeans are a great look for the weekends. Slim fit polo or V-neck t-shirts help to create a flattering and balanced upper body silhouette. All shirts and t-shirts must be slim fit, as they help to create an illusion of narrow shoulders. When it comes to suits, opt for trim-fit, button-down custom-made suits made with lightweight fabrics that follow your body’s natural line.
- What to avoid– Skinny jeans, Jackets, and blazers with shoulder paddings, Scoop necklines, T-shirts or shirts with shoulder detailing.
Oval Body Shape:
This body shape typically has a wide torso compared to the shoulders and hips. The limbs are shorter and broader. The midsection is the widest portion of the body. The key here is to find clothes that slim the midsections and frame the body shape.
- What to wear– Slim shirts with stripes are a great choice as they help to take the attention away from the midsection. Pants and trousers in muted shades and slightly tapered fit are perfect to elongate the lower body and create balance. Henley’s necklines are flattering for this body type. Dark, single-breasted, and slightly tapered jackets look flattering on this body shape. When it comes to suits, opt for pinstripe suits as they help to create the illusion of an elongated body. Opt for darker shade suits to create a more slimming effect.
- What to avoid– Tight fitted t-shirts, Cropped or cuff style pants, Detailing or patterns around the midsection area, Horizontal stripes.
Rectangular Body Shape:
This body shape usually has a tall and thin frame. Rectangular shapes have similar shoulder width as that of the waist and the hips. The key here is to create the illusion of a structure.
- What to wear– This body shape can carry off prints and colours with ease. Opt for slim fit chinos, jeans, and trousers to keep the appearance of long legs. Team structural jackets with printed t-shirts for a fun casual look. When it comes to suits, mixed-patterned and dimensional suits look great. Opt for a single-breasted blazer with a structured shoulder as they help add bulk to the shoulder and add definition.
- What to avoid– Double-breasted blazers, Pinstripe suits.
Trapezoid Body Shape:
This body shape is defined by a narrow waist and broader shoulders and chest. In this body type, the rib cage widens steadily up to the collarbone and shoulders, which are the broadest parts of the torso. Such body shapes are athletic and easy to dress.
- What to wear– Tailored trousers in most colours and patterns look great on such a body type. Shirts in vertical stripes help to elongate the torso and make you look taller. Opt for slim fit t-shirts and shirts as they are best suited for a trapezoid body shape. Jackets with tapering towards the end help to slim down the waist and broaden the shoulders. When it comes to suits, blazers with structured shoulders and tapered ends helps to balance the silhouette. When it comes to colour and patterns, the choices are endless for this body type.
- What to avoid– Baggy t-shirts, Ill-fitted jackets, and blazers, Baggy pants.
Triangular Body Shape:
This body shape is defined by narrow shoulders and broader waist and hips. Most men tend to have a waist and hips that are larger than the shoulders and the ribcage. The key here is to create balance and shape with the clothing.
- What to wear– Shirts and t-shirts in vertical stripes and muted tones help to create the illusion of a slim and long torso. Jeans and trousers should be a relaxed fit or slightly tapered. Structured jackets are a great choice as they broaden the shoulders and balance the hips. Patterns and detailing around the chest and shoulders add volume to the upper body while hiding the broad hips. Crew necklines are very flattering for this shape. When it comes to suits, opt for a slim-fit, single-breasted blazer with structured shoulders.
- What to avoid– Double-breasted blazers, Fitted polo shirts, Roll necks, Skinny jeans, Bold and bright prints.
Great style comes with a good understanding of one’s physique. Knowing what works well for you gives you confidence, and that reflects in the way you carry yourself. To stand out in a crowd, add a few details to your ensemble. A colourful pocket square, a good watch, and a pair of shoes help you refine your look.