Fashion | 2021-01-26T21:26:57
90s Style Is Back- The Trends Making The Biggest Splash This Year
The 90s style is back in vogue. Whether you love it or hate it, trends like spaghetti tops, fanny packs, bucket hats, and knee socks have officially made a comeback this year. This year’s most vibing trends are a sophisticated and refined version of the biggest fashion moments from the 90s.
The 90s and the early nought were a time of some really bizarre trends, like velvet tracksuits, tricky low rise jeans, and huge platform heels. Nonetheless, celebrities like Gigi Hadid, Bella Hadid, and Emily Ratajkowski along with numerous social media influencers are sporting the classic looks from this bygone era, both on and off the red carpet.
This comeback is not just limited to the clothes; makeup and hair trends from this decade are also making a huge splash in the fashion and beauty industry. Blue eyeshadow, a celebrity staple back then, has been sported by the likes of Dua Lipa, Billy Porter, and Adwoa Aboah on different red carpet events. The half updo with two front strands is championed by supermodels Bella Hadid and Kendall Jenner. Even some unsavoury trends such as the exposed G-string, claw clips, and big butterflies clips have become a style staple this season.
StyleFix is taking a trip down memory lane and highlighting the most sought after 90s staple that is going to be everywhere this season-
- Spaghetti straps- Spaghetti strap tops and dresses have been seen on many celebrities and models. From Carrie Bradshaw of SATC to Gwyneth Paltrow’s Oscar dress, spaghetti straps have been an elegant sartorial choice for the most fashion-forward crowd. Almost all high street and designer brands are selling a version of this 90-esque trend.
- Slip dress- Delicate slip dresses have the perfect touch of femininity and edge. A wardrobe staple of 90s fashionistas, worn and loved by stars like Kate Moss and Courtney Love, has made a huge comeback on the red carpet this year.
- Platform sneakers- Unappealing as they may be, this 90s highlight is back in vogue. Brands like Vans, Converse, and Superga have come up with their updated version of these high soled shoes.
- Fanny packs- Fanny packs are not just for travellers anymore. The fashion community has elevated this dads’ staple travel bag as a must-have accessory of 2020. Stars like Beyonce, Karlie Kloss, and A$AP Rocky have been sporting this trend. We love the androgynous appeal and utility aspect (hands-free purse) of this accessory.
- Cargo pants- Baggy cargo pants with a multitude of pockets were a staple for both boys and girls. The modern version of this 90s classic is slimmer in fit. A great alternative to jeans, they can be styled with crop jackets and boots or heels, or with hoodies and sneakers.
- Sheer dresses- The iconic sheer dress worn by Kate Moss was a fashion highlight of the 90s decade. Designers like Brandon Maxwell, Valentino, and Ganni have brought back the look this year. For the adventurous soul, this trend can be worn with some sexy tonal lingerie set underneath and a jacket on top, and it is bound to be a showstopper.
- Oversized suits- Stars like Emily Ratajkowski and Ella Balinska have rocked the oversized suit with elan. The oversized suit, a 90s look through and through, has been upgraded to 2020 aesthetics by pairing it with sneakers and crop tops.
- Combat boots- Combat boots, especially Doc Martens, are everywhere this season. This edgy and grunge staple is being worn by style bloggers and celebrities with everything- slip dresses, skirts, jeans, and shorts.
- Mom jeans- Mom jeans have brought us a big relief from all those super skinny jeans of the past decade. This trend has been popularised by models like Gigi and Kendall, as the go-to off runway look. The silhouette is flattering for all body types, and it is definitely unmatched in the comfort zone.
- Flannel shirts- This relic from the past is back, stronger, and better than ever. A favourite of style bloggers and models alike, these shirts can be worn with shorts or jeans, or over a plain t-shirt. Tying a knot in the front, a trendy 90s look has come back in style too.
- Tracksuits- From Yara Shahidi to the Hadid sisters, everyone is rocking this classic athleisure look. While some like to coordinate their tracksuits with sneakers, others like Kendall Jenner prefer to style their ensemble with sleek heels
- Choker- The 90s choker is definitely the It accessory of this season. From Selena Gomez to Rihanna, everyone is jumping on this style bandwagon. From the classic black choker to the delicate gold & silver ones, there are so many styles to choose from. This 90s staple has rightly been coined as the “new flower crown” of this era.